Thursday, February 10, 2011

In Envy of New Maps


                Life and the desire to see new things has slowed slow my practice of late.  No new videos of late, but I hope to change that soon.  With only a few games under my belt for the last week, they have been solid all around.  I have tried to kick my worst habit, highlighted in previous updates, over-thinking.   I am now trying more response oriented builds, even going so crazy as to use the one gate into robo build.  Making a choice and sticking with it, even if you suspect it was wrong, is a hard thing to do.  As my #1 girl said, “Have some confidence in your work, damn it.”  We may not have been talking about starcraft.

                The GSL team league has been a blast to watch, but two short to get invested.  Still, as a way to intro people in the starcraft, it is very good.  A self contained drama, without a need for set up or explanation.  It keeps things fresh and even the lead up to the next match is enjoyable.   Seeing what players the teams thrown against an opponent they just lost to is more exciting than expected.  Plus, the phrase “Reverse All-Kill” is delightful.

                But let’s talk about the best part of the GSL team league.  New maps.  The cries from all pro players are coming close to a deafening hurricane.  A demand for larger maps with more room to explore the deeper reaches of the tech tree.  To understand the clockwork like inter-workings of the mothership.  To probe the depths of the nydus worm can go to.  Larger maps are needed for this to happen, otherwise we will be stuck trying to crack how to expand to our natural under the threat of stim forever.

Also, the games are freaking awesome to watch.

                Blizzard has released the public test and I have sampled the new maps.  Not being amazing or a pro in any way, I leave the judgment to greater  souls than myself.  However, I personally enjoyed them, for  variety is a spice I have always loved.   Still, I wish there was a map in that set that broke out of the mold of the mold of difficult to take naturals.  Should Blizzard just accept we should all have the right to expand without fear, we may enter a new realm.  Where motherships are used to hold your fourth base and carriers are used to break siege lines.
  
                We can dream, can’t we.

No comments:

Post a Comment