Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Upgrade complete! Japan, instant coffee and season 2.

Lets get this out of the way right now.  I was number 1 in my league in season one.  It has ended and that title is forever mine.  The small accomplishment of getting that done while working a full time-adult job and having a girlfriend.  It is the smallest of feats, not worth talking about beyond my group of friends who are aware of my battles with the internet.  Smaller still, if I only include the ones who care.  There is no trophy or medal to put on my wall.  Yet, when I look at that rank I have a small sense of pride.  That in my little section of Starcraft 2, I did  better everyone else.  Its something only I should care about, but personal pride is the only pride that matters.

But lets get on to the main event:

I have been upgraded.  The master computer at Blizzard unleashed me into a new league and ladder.  My excitement with this is through the roof.  Soon I will be beyond one basing Terrans and 6 pools.  Off to a land where players react, rather than just build units and attack move in.  I am over half way to the masters league and one rank below diamond.

GOM TV recently held the World Championship Team League to raise money to help those poor folks in Japan.  It is super fun and super free to watch.  From someone who has watched 5 seasons of the GSL, its great to see all the best players throw down hard.  And they bring their A-game.  Pro Starcraft is a small community and I have become invested in some of these players.  There is a grass roots charm to all Starcraft events that makes them a joy to watch.  The commentators are self aware enough to keep everything light and at times, a little silly.  But there still is drama and a true sense of competition.  When one player has to play four matches in a row, you can see the fatigue on his face and in his play.  What these players do is so far beyond what I could think of doing, its amazing.  They make it look easy, but let me assure you, it isn't.

But I am off for the night.  Next post will feature something of equal might and glory.  The Team Liquid Star League.

No comments:

Post a Comment